C11 Love Pier
The Humane Light Rail Transit, the first urban circular light rail system in Taiwan, was launched in Kaohsiung City. This historical moment was the result of the efforts of the people in Kaohsiung and indicated a new era for the City.
When welcoming the light rail system, we realized that every historical tack of the Humane Light Rail Transit was built on the persistence lasting for a period of more than ten years. This new transportation for the benefit in both transport and tourism areas shortens the distance between the people and cities. When taking a light rail line from one station to another, people will understand more deeply about Kaohsiung City and, in the meantime, increase their awareness of green environment to achieve the goal of humanity-oriented transportation.
(I) Primary works
The elevated section at the Love River Bridge to a total length of about 833m (including A1 and A2 approaches) with two pier bases in the river.
The project features “improvement of green environment awareness and achievement of humanity-oriented transportation” with the overall transformation of the landscape and creation of an outstanding livable city.
- Zn/Al thermal spray and cathodic protection with impressed current and sacrificial anode (lead silver alloy anode) are applied to the piers in the Love River to prolong the service life of the steel structure to 50 years.
- For extension of greenbelts, energy saving, and carbon reduction, permeable green turfs are laid along the rail to cover an area of about 85% of the entire section. In addition to the comfortable visions, the turfs have the features of water retention, temperature reduction, and mitigation of the load on the sewers. They are more environmentally friendly and favorable for energy saving and carbon reduction than asphalt roads for vehicles.
- Streamer lights in line with the direction and speed of the light rail trains are used for the landscape lighting at the Love River Bridge.
- The advanced fast charging technology with supercapacitors is used. There are no cables erected along the rail to reserve the blue sky and white cloud as well as the compete skyline for the city, ensuring that passengers will enjoy a high quality travel on the train.
- 54R2 groove rails and elastic cladding material (CDM-Qtrack) are used to form a rail system of continuous support without fasteners. A good vertical and horizontal support is ensured by embedding in the concrete and the surrounding stray current and vibration are isolated to provide a noise reduction capability.
- The project proceeded with the right-of-way of the Taiwan Railway along the Lingang Line to reduce the area of land acquisition and minimize the complaints of the citizens. The construction conditions were good with most of the underground pipelines removed, in favor of retaining the historical memories and cultural values of the Taiwan Railway and making use of the urban spaces more effectively.
- Sound barrier walls are erected to suppress the noise and protect the buildings along the line.