Construction of Kaohsiung Light Rail C37 Station and Pedestrian Bridge Awarded “2020 Urban Engineering Quality Gold Award”
Information Management Office
The C37 station and pedestrian bridge in the second phase of Kaohsiung Circular Light Rail construction won the “2020 Urban Engineering Quality Gold Award (Group C, meeting the recommended standards of the Kaohsiung City Government)”.
The features and innovations of the project are as follows:
- Lightweight and transparent: The outer height of the station pavilion is 5.77 meters, and the clear internal height is 3.45 meters. The roof slab is suspended in a light form, making the surface transparent. The flyover elevator is covered with atomized glass, creating a gentle ambiance. The handrails on the bridge are made of glass to reduce the sense of visual obstruction. Visitors can easily appreciate the parking lot.
- Reduced saturation: The overall color of the station and the flyover is light gray and white, and some areas are green. The light color of the station, double roof, and rack greening can reduce the heat island effect.
- Material safety: Gutters and drainage pipes are installed on the roof of the station. 6 + 6 mm glued Low-E mesh glass is used on the wall, which can insulate radiant heat and ultraviolet rays. Furthermore, the glue-strengthened glass possesses good light transmittance, strengthened glued glass, and is very safe. The handrails of flyover above the crossing track are heightened to prevent people from throwing objects. The handrail glass is made of glued glass as a safety precaution in case it is broken. The stairs and the bridge floor incorporate anti-slip materials.
- Smart security and control: An additional optical fiber network has been established to achieve digital data, signal return, and monitoring control. The machine network can transmit, real-time images from the elevator to the operation control center, and the images are stored in different places in real-time. The staff of the operation control center can be contacted immediately in an emergency. Elevator status, elevator fault messages, and alarms are sent back to the operation control center via the fiber network. The operation control center can remotely control the lights of the pedestrian bridge and elevator shaft, as well as the start and close of the elevator.
Vision and benefits:
- The design of the circular light rail station will build on the distinctive urban characteristics of Kaohsiung. It will create a new space that belongs to Kaohsiung, combining the vitality of sunlight with, and sustainable, ecological, and green development.
- Before the Kaohsiung Railway was underground, local residents could only rely on Yisin and Ersheng Road as the main routes between the east and the west. After the construction of the circular light rail, the Qianzhen Depot was also converted into a circular light rail maintenance plant. For the benefit of urban stitching and the convenience of passengers, Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit Bureau has constructed a land bridge for bikes and pedestrians at the site of the maintenance plant.